Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2 - Baby Shower Cakes

As mentioned in the previous post, I had fun getting crafty for a baby shower I threw for my cousin and her sweet baby girl.

Now, my girls and I watch cake shows on the Food Network more than any other shows on TV. So when it came time for the shower, I knew I wanted to try making a cake. To make it a little easier, I went to JoAnn's and got pre-made fondant that I split in half, leaving one half of it white and used red food coloring to make the other half of it pink. I had made two cakes just in case I messed one up (this was my first time trying fondant!) and when I rolled out the fondant and added it to one cake, I found out that I had more than enough fondant to cover both cakes. So I made two cakes, the opposite of one another. A pink cake with white frosting and a white cake with pink frosting. I loved how they turned out!

But I knew they needed something extra, so I got out my bag of sucker sticks (you can find these at any craft store in the candy making section). I stamped the letters and punched them out with the smaller scalloped circle. Then punched TWO of the large scalloped circle shapes in white. I put dimensionals and sandwiched the two larger white circles together around the sucker stick. Then stuck them into the cakes. The shower was a great time and I got so many compliments on the cakes!

Cake Decorations:


5 comments:

Stampin with Kristy said...

These cakes are gorgeous! You did such an amazing job! I can't believe it's your first time using fondant! My first time was a disaster and the fondant was an inch thick. Great job!!

Unknown said...

These cakes are totally awesome and I love the handmade title!!! I will be showcasing these on My Crafty Picks #23 with a link back to your blog on 7-3-11. If you wish to decline please email me at trbauer@insightbb.com

Take care
Tiffany
www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

Becky said...

These are gorgeous Holly!

Angie & Becca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie & Becca said...

Is there anything creative you can't do wonderfully?! LOL Great job, Holly, those cakes look amazing!:)